The South Coast Science Project and Science Matters
2018 SUMMER INSTITUTE
EARTH and SPACE Science for Elementary Teachers
Teachers of all experience levels in science are invited to participate in this hands-on workshop!
July 30th to August 3rd (8am – 4pm)
Peabody Charter Elementary in Santa Barbara
Summer Institute 2018 Application Form
Learn more about Earth and Space science, share teaching strategies with your colleagues, participate in hands-on investigations, and walk away with ready to teach lessons for your classroom! All activities are aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) for ESS1: Earth’s Place in the Universe, ESS2: Earth’s Systems, and the Science and Engineering Practices and Crosscutting Concepts.
- Continental breakfast at 7:30 am, along with a lunch provided each day.
- Work with a conceptual flow diagram that illustrates how Earth and Space Science concepts connect and build from kindergarten through middle school.
- Participate in student-centered hands-on investigations ready to bring back into your classrooms, a minimum of
one full lesson per grade level for grades K-6.
- Ideas and strategies to support EL students and integrate NGSS with the Common Core embedded
throughout the workshop.
- Opportunity to purchase professional development units through UCSB.
- Follow-up support with mini-grants to try lessons during the 2018-2019 school year and e-mail contact with science specialists and teacher leaders for answers to your questions during the year.Share teaching strategies with your colleagues, participate in hands-on investigations, and walk away with ready-to-teach units for your classroom.
Apply by April 30th – limited space available!
you can also visit their website at www.chem.ucsb.edu/scsp/ to register and view lessons from previous years,
or e-mail us at email@example.com for more information